I’ve put the dolls away this week and finished off a vintage matinee coat which I’ve had on the needles for a couple of weeks.
I love this pattern I’ve knitted it many times over the years and when finished it never disappoints. It’s from an old Emu pattern which I have had in my collection for years. I love the measurements in vintage patterns which are usually quite generous. I am quite a tight knitter and with modern patterns I often have to go up a needle size to achieve the correct gauge and have to add a few extra lines for a decent length. Yet when knitting from vintage patterns I never have that problem. May have a lot to do with the fact that many years ago people would expect children to get their ‘wear’ out of a garment.
The coat and bonnet are knitted in 4ply on 5mm needles, this results in a lovely soft fabric.
The lacy structure of the pattern is quite dense but very pretty. It is basically achieved by K1 P1 K1 all into 1 stitch and then P3 tog.
The coat has a generous skirt with a roomy yoke which gives a nice swing to the coat and makes dressing babies that much easier. The pattern uses a ribbon fastening at the neck, which I thought could be a bit too much as the bonnet has a ribbon tie so I left the coat open and ebellished the edgings with yellow ribbon roses which are repeated on the sides of the bonnet.
I think this type of baby coat looks so beautiful over a frilly dress. Unfortunately I ran out of yarn so didn’t knit any shoes which I thought would have completed the outfit.