I’ve been busy knitting dolls this week, I’ve got two to make before December and have just completed the first one. So here she is, little Holly
It is my first attempt at making a doll and I am relatively pleased with the way she has turned out. I used one of the Dollytime patterns from the Flutterby Patch blog. I love this lady’s little dolls they are all so sweet, the sort that should be sitting down to tea parties.
The pattern was very clear and straight forward to follow but I did find doing the hair a bit of a nightmare and trying to get a sweet expression on the doll wasn’t easy!! I don’t think my Holly has turned out to be a tea party girl, I think she’s a fiesty little character who couldn’t give a toss what her hair looks like… she’s off for an adventure!
She measures 12 inches and is knitted in DK yarn, I used 4mm needles which made her a bit bigger.
The body and head are knitted as one long tube with the head created by gathering in a section of the tube after stuffing. Legs and arms are knitted separatley and stitched in place. The hair is attached at the top of the head and stitched in place at the back of the head then gathered into two bunches.
The little pants, dress and cardigan were lovely to knit, they only took up oddments of yarn, and they were such a good fit. Once dressed and hair trimmed little Holly looks ready to face the world
She was fun to create although I do have a lot to learn about hair techniques. So I’m off now to look through my stash and sort out the colour combination for Holly’s sister.